Skip to main content

FAQs - MS in Vision Science

General Questions

For the combined OD/MS program, the master's curriculum is completed throughout the OD program and therefore typically students will work on their masters beginning at the end of their first year, concluding around the same time they graduate from the four year OD program.

The standalone MS program is designed so that it can be completed either part time of full time.  The program can be completed in 24 months on a full time basis.  For more specific questions about various timelines, contact Dr. William Ridder at

60 quarter credit hours (20 credits in courses and 40 credits in research thesis.)


For the combined OD/MS program: Once you are accepted to the OD program you can apply to the MS program. The deadline for applications is the end of the 8th week of the Fall quarter.

For the standalone MS program: Applicants for the standalone MS program may apply anytime, and if admitted, will select which quarter they would like to begin the program.

If you are applying for the OD/MS program you do not need to submit transcripts again as everything will be forwarded from your OptomCAS application.

If you are applying for the standalone MS Program, you will need to have your transcripts evaluated. A course-by-course evaluation is required that provides an equivalency of the documents and a report of the courses completed in terms of U.S. college-level semester hour credits. The approved list of companies that perform this function are given below. Please contact them directly.

1. Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc.

P.O. Box 514070

Milwaukee, WI 53203-3740

(414) 289-3400


2. World Education Services, Inc.

Bowling Green Stations

PO Box 5087

NY, NY 10274-5087


3. Joseph Silny & Associates, Inc.

International Educational Consultants

P.O. Bo 248233

Coral Gables, FL 33124

(305) 666-0233


4. American Association of Collegiate Registrars

and Admissions Officers (AACRAO)

Foreign Education Services

One Dupont Circle, NW, Suite 520

Washington DC 20036


5. International Education Research Foundation, Inc.

Post Office Box 3665

Culver City, CA 90231-3665

Phone: 310.258.9451 Fax: 310.342.7086

Please see the "Standalone MS Program" page for more information regarding which tests may be required.


Our school codes are:

SEVP: 23295

GRE: 3736

TOEFL: 5838

OAT: select SCCO at MBKU

Financial Aid & Documentation for Non-U.S. Citizens

Yes – A U.S. Social Security Card and a California Driver’s License or ID card.  A Social Security Card is required for Campus employment and by many of our outreach rotation sites.  The Driver’s License is required if you are bringing a vehicle.  The California ID card is recommended if you are not bringing a vehicle.

Once you are accepted into the MS program, you will be prompted by our Director of International Student Services to provide SCCO with financial documentation that you and/or your family can pay our full cost of education. See the Cost and Aid section of the website for more information regarding program costs. 

Once you have submitted adequate documentation, you need to apply for an F-1 Visa (F-2 Visa for any family members coming with the student). SCCO will provide you with a completed Form I-20. You arrange for an interview with your local US Embassy (take I-20 to interview with you). If your Visa is granted, you can enter the country no earlier than 30 days before classes start. The Visa renewal time frame (1 – 5 years) depends on country of origin. Obtaining a Visa can take up to 3 months.

For more information, visit Department of Homeland Security Study in the States.

We accept bank or other financial institutions’ documentation of readily available funds or a Line of Credit.

A Line of Credit is an agreement between a bank and a customer that establishes a maximum loan balance available to the borrower.  A student Line of Credit may limit the funds available to the borrower each year.   Interest is charged on the funds withdrawn from the Line of Credit.

Yes – but not in a Federal Work Study position.  The job must be a College Work Study position.